Woodmancote is not mentioned in the Doomesday Book (1086), but was a place in its own right by about 1170 when the Bishop’s officers organised a thorough survey of their estates.
From then on Woodmancote remained a separate ‘tithing’ . For centuries Woodmancote was a patchwork of smallholdings and arable fields, a dominant agriculture feature being land strips of ‘ridge and furrow’. In old English, the name meant ‘woodmans cottage’ and an early form was WUDUMANNACOTE. Not so long ago locals called it Oodmucket.
During mediaeval times, there was once a village called Wick. Its location was on Stockwell Lane, on the left below the junction with Post Office Lane.
There are 17 Grade II listed buildings and one Grade II*.
It was not until 1891 that mains water was connected. In 1899 the first telephone was installed at the Rising Sun Hotel, it was the first in the area and the number was 502. Gas finally arrived in 1925 to the Green and over the next ten years or so the rest of the village was connected.
Ghosts – Parts of Butts Lane were an ancient battle ground re-enacted today by ghostly figures. The hooded monk seen walking in the autumn mists near ‘The Woodlands’, Butts Lane (now demolished). Galloping horses in Bushcombe Lane and the face in the window at ‘Washpool’, Stockwell Lane.
1) Walter Denley at Upper Bottomley. His nickname was ‘Crackmaggot’ because he looked after the sheep on the Common. Cleaning the sheep's bottoms to avoid maggots.
2) The Apple Tree.
3 & 4) Pressing apples for cider, Gambles Lane.
For editorial and advertising please contact : Nick Ebdon, 132, Station Road, Woodmancote Tel: 01242 674686 or Email Nick
Whilst every care is taken in preparation of this publication, the Publishers do not accept responsibility for any error or omission. Views expressed are those of individuals only and not necessarily of the Parish Council or Editor.
© Copyright. Woodmancote Parish Council 2017 All Rights Reserved.